Muso Jam

Scheffler has another slow start and was happy to get a weekend at Riviera

· Yahoo Sports

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Scottie Scheffler gave a light fist pump when his final putt barely curled in on the 18th hole at Riviera, typical of his subdued reaction when he wins most tournaments. The difference Friday is the putt allowed him to make the cut on the number at the Genesis Invitational.

A slow start for the third straight week meant Scheffler had to hole a 7-foot par putt on a green that had that scary combination of being spongy and speedy. It gave him a 3-under 68 to finish two rounds at Riviera in even-par 142.

Visit xsportfeed.quest for more information.

The Genesis Invitational is one of three $20 million signature events to have a 36-hole cut for the top 50 and ties and any player within 10 shots of the lead. The 10-shot rule went out the window when Marco Penge birdied five of his last seven holes for a 64 to post at 12-under 130.

“It was nice to be able to hole a putt and get another two cracks at the course,” Scheffler said. “I started the day not where I wanted to, but yeah, battled and it looks like I get another couple rounds to see what I can do.”

“Battled” is a word Scheffler has been using more then he wants lately.

He opened with a 2-over 73 in the Phoenix Open to put himself outside the cut line, only to respond with a 65 and finish the week one shot out of a playoff. He shot 72 at Pebble Beach to start last week and was 13 shots behind at one point Friday before a 67-63 weekend that had him tied for the lead at one point.

This week is different, mainly because Scheffler doesn't have a great history at Riviera.

“I don't know,” he said. “This place and I have a weird relationship. I feel like I can play so well out here and I just haven't yet.”

In five previous appearances at Riviera, Scheffler's best week left him seven shots out of the lead. The other four times he finished nine shots behind. So as he enjoys an 18-tournament streak of top 10s on the PGA Tour, this wasn't the course to fall behind.

Alas, he had two make two birdies Friday morning to complete the rain-delayed first round for a 74, matching his high score at Riviera. It was the first time since his rookie season in 2020 that Scheffler had three straight tournaments in which he failed to break par in the opening round.

“I would not say anything in particular,” he said when asked what caused the sudden rash of falling so far behind. “I think in both of the last two, teeing off late is never the easiest and I've gotten off to slow starts. Teeing off yesterday when we did was pretty challenging around this golf course.”

Indeed it was. Rain in the morning that led to a three-hour delay gave way to a cold, strong wind in the afternoon on greens that were soft enough to plug and fast enough to be cautious.

“You don't want to have another 3, 3 1/2 feet coming back,” Scheffler said. “And yesterday was definitely a day none of mine were going in. It was nice to get out this morning on some fresh greens and hole some putts and do what I needed to do in order to get to the weekend."

It wasn't just on the greens, however.

Scheffler has missed half of the fairways each of the last two rounds. He missed the second green Thursday with a shot from the left rough halfway up the hill on the right. From the right rough Friday, he missed his approach so far left he wound up near the 10th tee.

But he did enough right to extend his cuts streak to 68 tournaments dating to the FedEx St. Jude Championship in August 2022, the longest active streak on tour.

Scheffler was 4 over for the tournament with 10 holes to play when he stuffed his approach on No. 9 to 3 feet for birdie. He hit a perfect pitch to 3 feet on the 10th for birdie. He chipped to short range for birdie on the par-5 11th. And he picked up a final birdie on the par-5 17th from a greenside bunker. And there were no bogeys, equally key.

“I pretty much knew I had to get to at least even par with the way the conditions were,” Scheffler said. “And so yeah, just trying to do what I could do.”

___

AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf

Read full story at source

Anderson and Baleba: Man United plot sensational £200m midfield revolution

· Yahoo Sports

Anderson and Baleba: Man United plot sensational £200m midfield revolution

Assembling a world-class midfield remains Manchester United’s biggest priority this summer.

Visit asg-reflektory.pl for more information.

The need for quality additions

Christian Eriksen left last summer and was never replaced. Now, Casemiro is also expected to leave. Manuel Ugarte was meant to step into his shoes, yet he has struggled to convince.

It hardly needs explaining why United must give their midfield full attention, injecting the quality required to lay the foundation for the dominance the Old Trafford faithful crave.

Linked names and emerging favourites

Several midfielders have been linked with a move to M16: Carlos Baleba, Elliot Anderson, Sandro Tonali, Scott McTominay, Adam Wharton, Eduardo Camavinga and Angelo Stiller. Yet according to Teamtalk, United are intent on a double swoop.

The UK outlet reveals:

“As things stand, their favoured targets are Elliot Anderson and Carlos Baleba. But they will have to spend around £200m to sign the Premier League duo.”

Baleba and Anderson could indeed be brilliant additions to this United side.

It was unfortunate that a move for Baleba failed to materialise last summer. His dip in form since then is disappointing, but form is temporary, class is permanent.

The Cameroonian international remains the “midfield beast” INEOS admired last year. A change of scenery, particularly a move to Manchester, could well help him rediscover his spark.

Anderson: The warrior United need

As for Anderson, he is arguably the finest young midfielder the Premier League has to offer at the moment.

United need the warrior he embodies, carrying the ball as though angry at it, direct, brave, and never hiding in games. He could be the perfect heir to Casemiro. His energy and ball-winning qualities would ensure United do not miss the Samba star.

The Anderson battle

While a deal for Baleba should be straightforward if United and Brighton can strike terms, Anderson’s case is trickier.

The Nottingham Forest man is also a prime target for Manchester City, with the Cityzens prepared to spend big to secure his services. INEOS must find a way to win that race. Should they succeed, a Baleba-Anderson partnership could anchor United’s midfield for years to come.

Featured image Dan Istidene via Getty Images

online polls

The Peoples Person has been one of the world’s leading Man United news sites for over a decade. Follow us on Bluesky: @peoplesperson.bsky.social



Read full story at source

Alysa Liu Shares the Backstory on Her Viral Hug with Japan’s Ami Nakai After They Medaled at 2026 Winter Olympics (Exclusive)

· Yahoo Sports

Alysa Liu and Ami Nakai in Milan on Feb. 19, 2026

Matthew Stockman/Getty 

NEED TO KNOW

  • Alysa Liu says she wanted to "celebrate" with Japanese figure skater Ami Nakai during their viral moment at the 2026 Winter Olympics
  • Liu tells PEOPLE she and Nakai, 17, have competed against one another before
  • "She's just so cute. She's so happy on the ice," Liu says of Nakai

Alysa Liu wanted to celebrate her fellow figure skater, Ami Nakai, during the viral moment after their final competition at the 2026 Winter Olympics.

Visit sportnewz.click for more information.

After the results were announced in the final at Milano Ice Skating Arena on Feb. 19, confirming that Nakai, 17, had won bronze and Liu, 20, won gold, the American star rushed over to Nakai to celebrate.

Liu tells PEOPLE she's competed with Nakai a handful of times and is a fan of the Japanese Olympian. "She's just so cute," she says. "She's so happy on the ice."

Alysa Liu and Ami Nakai on Feb. 19, 2026 in Milan, Italy

Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty 

The gold medalist says she "could tell" that Nakai loves to skate and that she was "really happy with her scores," which led to the viral moment.

"I was like, 'I gotta celebrate like she did,'" says Liu, who will take the ice alongside her fellow Team USA gold medalists Ilia Malinin, Amber Glenn, Madison Chock and Evan Bates on Saturday, Feb. 21 at the Olympics figure skating exhibition gala.

Liu says she's "so excited" for the gala, but after nonstop media sessions to talk about her gold in the individual final, the athlete says she's "going to need some sleep so I can do the exhibition in like, my full capacity."

Fans fell in love with Liu, who announced in 2019 that she'd be retiring after the Beijing Games, not just for her athletic talent but because of the transparency she brings to the sport. Luckily for them, Liu fell back in love with figure skating in 2024.

While she says she's still not sure if she "really wants to be a role model," the star admits, "but I guess I am." Still, she's hesitant to share advice to aspiring skaters about how to find their own joy in sport.

"I wouldn't tell anyone to force their joy in something they don't actually like. I actually really enjoy the sport, and I don't know, it just comes naturally and it's really fun, spinning and stuff, gliding on the ice," she says.

Liu will urge fans, however, "to spend time with themselves, try new things, different things, and to just gain experience."

"Taking breaks is okay," adds Liu. "Sometimes, taking a step back is what's needed to see the full picture."

To learn more about all the Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, come to people.com to check out ongoing coverage before, during and after the games. Watch the Milan Cortina Olympics and Paralympics, beginning Feb. 6, on NBC and Peacock.

Read the original article on People

Read full story at source